At OSCA we aim to keep the academy open, if at all possible, regardless of the weather and/or other circumstances. However, our priority is ensuring the safety of both staff and students.
A decision on whether the academy will be open, in the case of bad weather, will be made by 7:45 am. There is no perfect time to make this decision. However we believe this is early enough to ensure most students are not already on their way to the academy, but also enough time for management and site staff to assess the situation at the academy, and locally, in enough detail to make an informed decision.
The responsibility for the closure of the academy rests with the Principal and notice of such a closure, whatever the reason, will be made on our website, Facebook and Twitter pages. OSCA does not use any other types of social media so please ignore any false messages about closures.
We will also inform the Ormiston Trust, local authority and local radio.
Parents/Guardians are requested not to phone the academy about a closure, as this will block telephone lines which will be needed by the staff.
If it become necessary to close the academy during the day the following procedure will be followed:
- Ormiston regional director will be informed
- Website, OSCA social media pages etc will be updated
- Parents will be informed via text message
- Students will be informed via their class teacher/form tutor. A letter will also be provided outlining key details, if possible.
- Students should follow instructions from parents, given in advance, about what to do if the academy closes. Students’ should be aware in advance of what your likely arrangements or plans would be in this circumstance in advance – please have this conversation with your child
- Any students who are waiting for arrangements to be put in place will be cared for at the academy until they have permission to leave or are collected.
- Updates and further communication will be through our website and social media pages
Please ensure your child comes to the academy with warm, waterproof clothing/shoes in the event of bad weather.
It is vital we also have up to date contact details. Please contact reception if you need to update your contact details. This can also be done via the SIMS Parent app.